Paramotoring in Jaisalmer

One of the best experiences that I had as a trekker is without a doubt my trek to Everest Base Camp. Through the snow and wild mountains, I trekked solo to witness the majestic beast, Mount Everest. That gush of adrenaline I get everytime I hear the term Everest never stopped. Every step of the way to the base camp had its own adventure. Some days were chaotic, some days were outstanding but collectively it was one hell of an adventure.


For more awesome adventures check this paramotoring in Jaisalmer.


My journey began when I stepped my foot into Kathmandu. The fresh breeze that hit me as I stepped into the Tribhuvan International Airport is still crystal clear in my memory. That was the moment this extraordinary experience began. I was welcomed into this wonderful nation of Nepal and I couldn’t contain my excitement that I am actually here. The first adventure of this journey was my flight from Kathmandu to Lukla airport. At first, I wasn’t fazed by the whole flight journey but my point of view drastically changed once I stepped into the flight.


The flight was already delayed a couple of hours from the time of expectation. I was told that it is an usual thing in these areas. Then, I was informed about the Lukla Airport which is considered to be one of the most terrifying airports in the world. The reason is the runway. Since the airport was located on a mountain, the runway is very short. It means that the aircraft should be in perfect speed so that it neither goes too fast and crashes, nor goes too slow and does not make the runway. It was quite tricky and yet exciting.


All my worries and uneasiness vanished as I walked into Lukla Airport. This is it, I am here. Soon, I settled into my room in the Everest Lodge, a mini hotel known as a tea hotel. Then, we began the trek downhill to Phakding which is along the riverside of Dudh Kosi. This first trail was quite easy. At Phakding, I had a night stay after having a great dinner. At that point, my first day of this 12 day trek came to an end. 


The next day was the trek towards Namche Bazaar which is for 10 km. For that, I had stops in Monjo inbetween for lunch. Before arriving at Namche Bazaar, I was welcomed by the Sagarmatha National Park at Jorsalle. Once I reached Namche, I had my overnight stay plus a buffer day for acclimatisation. I was not planning on wasting my time and I visited the Namche museum and also hiked to Khumjung during this day. Later the next day, I again began the trek towards Deboche. This trail was comparatively easy and I also got to visit the largest buddhist monastery there, Tengboche monastery.


After having a pleasant night in the peaceful village of Deboche, the next day I left for Dingboche village. The path for this was through Pangboche. The whole trail was through scenic mountains, forests and landscapes. The rich culture was seen in the carved prayer stones and also in the Pangboche monastery. I even witnessed the mummified hand that was said to be from a Yeti. I stayed a buffer day at Dingboche. Throughout this journey, I did not want to waste even a split second. So, I made use of this day hiking to see the world’s three top peaks, Mount Lhotse, Mount Makalu and Mount Cho Yu. I also made sure to take enough rest so that my body is ready for the yet to come days as they are the toughest.


The aim for the next day is to reach Lobuche which is 18 km away. The path was smooth and offered the best view. On the way, in the Dughla pass, I saw the graveyard of Everest climbers and I paid my respects. I spent the night in the tea house in Lobuche preparing myself for the next day. Then came the next day, the ultimate day of this trek. The day that I was waiting for. The plan for the day is to trek to Gorak Shep and then to the ultimate destination, the Everest Base Camp.


This was also the toughest part for me. I was struggling and losing hope along the way. But nature wasn’t allowing me to feel so. It provided me with the finest view of snowy mountains in all directions. It made me realise my purpose and gave me hope to reach the destination. Once I reached it, it was all worth it. I was mind-blown by the spectacular view. I finally understood what all the buzz was about. I spent the best few hours of my life before leaving back to Gorak Shep for the night.


The next morning, I had my side trek to Kala Patthar for an awestruck sunrise view. That day was spent on this trek after which I descended down to Pheriche. From here, the route was the same, to Namche Bazaar and then Lukla. On the way back, I did some shopping, got some prayer flags and butter and cheese for home. Finally, when I woke up in Lukla, I realised that time had flown away and I am already on my twelfth day. With that shock, I bid my bye to the mountains that kept me cherished for the past week. I boarded my flight to Ramechaap from where I drove back to Kathmandu.


I stepped back to Kathmandu but I was not the same person as I was when I arrived. I felt a new accomplishment inside me, a new satisfaction. I had high hopes which I was able to pursue through this trek. As I walked into the Tribhuvan International Airport for the second time, I knew that these twelve days will play a big role in my life and that these memories will always stay close to my heart.


Also check this out for more content.

By Sank