Qualifying homeowners can receive help with exterior improvements | News, Sports, Jobs



Warmer weather is here, which means homeowners are thinking about fixing up the exteriors of their residences.

Unfortunately, the price of materials and labor has increased, already making an expensive job even more cost-prohibitive. However,income-qualifying Marshall County residents can receive financial help in making repairs to the exterior of their homes.

The Region 6 Housing Trust Fund is a program which provides up to $25,000 for improvements such as roofing, siding and window and door replacement for households with an income less than 80 percent of the county median. The fund can also cover emergency improvements, such as furnace work, to a home that may pose immediate danger to inhabitants.

Region 6 Planning Director Julie Winter said it does not cover items like fences, decks, garages or air conditioners.

The fund was created in 2009 as a non-profit to help Marshall, Hardin, Poweshiek and Tama counties in expanding the supply of quality and affordable housing. The program receives 75 percent of the funding from the state Iowa Finance Authority. The remaining 25 percent comes from matching funds from the respective counties. Winter said the city of Marshalltown will provide the match in 2024.

“The preservation of existing housing stock in the region is incredibly important to the availability of affordable housing, which is why the trust fund primarily focuses on exterior improvements to keep existing housing stock in good condition,” she said. “The cost to build new housing has skyrocketed in recent years, which is adding to the affordable housing crisis.”

There is no deadline for residents to apply, as applications are accepted on a rolling basis. People are placed on a waiting list and reviewed on a first-come, first serve basis when funding is available.

“Thirty percent of the state funding is set aside for households under 30 percent of the median household income,” Winter said. “That is under $20,000 for a family of two and under $30,000 for a family of four. The other funding must be set aside for families under 80 percent of the county median. That is under $54,000 for a family of two and under $67,000 for a family of four.”

She said there are steps which must be completed before a household can obtain the funding. First, income must be verified. All adults earning income must be counted as part of the household income.

Once the household is determined to be income-qualified, a Region 6 staff member will evaluate the home. Then a scope of work will be prepared for that house and a bid will be put out. Finally, a contractor is selected to complete the work based on the lowest bid.

Since its inception in 2009, 193 private Marshall County households have received help from the Housing Trust Fund.

In addition, the fund has provided monies for other Marshalltown affordable housing projects such as:

• $100,000 for the Iowa Tallcorn rental rehabilitation;

• $200,000 for the rehabilitation of the Iowa Wholesale Building;

• $100,000 for construction at the corner of State Street and First Avenue;

• $100,000 for construction at the corner of Church Street and Fourth Avenue.

HOW TO APPLY:

• People can apply for the Housing Trust Fund in three ways:

Visit the Region 6 website – region6resources.org/region-6-housing-trust-fund/ – print the application, fill out and return to the office through the mail or in person. The address is 903 E Main St. Marshalltown, IA 50158

• Visit the office and fill out a paper application.

• Go to the website, fill out the Housing Trust Fund application online and submit.

——

Contact Lana Bradstream at 641-753-6611 ext. 210 or [email protected].



Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox






link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *